Tuesday, November 25, 2008

St. Louis Sports

The St. Louis sports scene is in a state that I have not seen too many times in my lifetime. During the 1990's, postseason sports was as much a part of St. Louis as the Gateway Arch. But the past two years, there has not been a post-season game played in the Gateway City.

The St. Louis Cardinals won the 2006 World Series, but since then the Cardinals have not been back to the post-season, despite the fact that they finished with more regular season wins this year, than the year that they won the World Series. The Cardinals are retooling in the off-season through free agency, and possibly trades.

The St. Louis Blues had made the playoffs for over 20 consecutive years, but now they have missed out on the playoffs for the past three years. But the Blues have at least begun a youth movement, and are trying to turn the program around. The Blues now have 14 first round draft picks on their roster after making a shrewd move to bring in two middle twenties players, for one middle-twenties aged player.

But the same optimism can not be found in the St. Louis Rams. Of the three St. Louis sports franchises, the Rams are the most hopeless. They have two wins in 2008, and have already fired their coach once this year, and it may be two coaches down if they do not win two more games this season, according to Rams ownership.

The Rams could learn a thing about how to play the game from the Blues. Despite being a young team, with six key players out because of injuries, they have still evened up their record at 8-8 on the season. The Blues still have a shot at the post-season, meanwhile the Rams have a shot at the best draft pick in the NFL come April.

All St. Louis sports fans ask for is effort. The Rams have provided nothing, no effort, and no entertainment value for St. Louis fans. The Blues meanwhile, continue to plug away, playing a physical style of play at 110%, that is the kind of team that fans can get behind.

There may not be any hope for the Rams, but the young, and plucky St. Louis Blues is the city's best shot at seeing playoff action this year. The young team is fun to watch, and their effort is what makes them the hottest ticket in St. Louis.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Death to St. Louis sports! All of my family is originally from St. Louis so even the majority of my imediate family are big Cards/Rams/Blues fan, however I am not. The reason that I am not a St. Louis fan is because I grew up in Tennessee. I dont know if you remeber but the last superbowl that the Rams won was against my team, the Tennessee Titans and was only done by 1 yard. Also since while I was living there the Nashville Predators were created and I used to play at their practice rink I can not allow myself to be a St.L fan. As far as baseball... well its boring so I could care less but if I would be a fan of any team it would be the Cards.